SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Stability

Stability is an often elusive goal that many with mental illness struggle to obtain. I've struggled to achieve stability for most of my life. Today, I find myself wondering if I will ever find my stability.

In order to assist in achieving stability, I see doctors and therapists every week. We discuss coping skills, medications, and harm reduction.  I forced myself to be completely honest, truly authentic, no matter how hard it may be.

Part of my path to stability has involved forming a support network filled with people I can trust to tell me when I'm falling into old patterns or dangerous situations. This has included family, friends, and medical professionals.

As a person who has struggled to find this happy place filled with consistency, I have a bit of advice for the people searching for their own version of stability.

1) Find help. Having a mental illness is difficult, but there is nothing to be ashamed of. Seek out a therapist, a social worker, a friend, or anyone you can trust.

2) You may not immediately find the type of assistance you need, but that is okay. Try again. Call your local mental health hotline and ask for referrals.

3) Be honest about your struggles. Do you feel sad? Anxious? Are you thinking about dying? Hurting yourself? Is it something different? Maybe something you don't quite understand? It's okay, there is help.

Personally, some days feel more stable than others. Even people without a mental illness have bad days. It's just that for some, these bad days seem more oppressive. In the wake of these negative feelings, remembering the good times becomes nearly impossible. Still, there are good times, we can remember, and we can survive. The negativity, depression, anxiety, and pain, does not need to swallow us.

Do something nice for yourself and remember, this doesn't have you be the end.
Take care of you,

-Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment