SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Introducing Alison


About Me
My name is Alison and I’m excited about our SPARC social media expanding. I am very passionate about mental health and suicide prevention. There is a lot of stigma surrounding mental health (or mental illness) and suicide that makes it very difficult for people to reach out for help. I have been affected both by mental illness and suicide; I can be described as neurotic (sometimes) and I can become depressed or anxious... and there is no shame around that. I am also ambitious, a good listener, and goofy. I may need to reach out for help during stressful times and that is perfectly okay.

Goals
One of the goals I have for our blog is to help reduce the stigma of mental health and suicide, reach out and educate areas in the community where there is not much information about mental health and suicide, and to (hopefully) pave the path to decreasing suicides. We want to help provide inspiration for seeking help or reaching out to someone in need of help. Suicide is preventable and mental health can be maintained. If you want to share your experiences with us, you can leave us a message on our Facebook page or email us.

If In Crisis
If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, please contact either the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Crisis Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.


No comments:

Post a Comment