SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.
Monday, February 23, 2015
Welcome to SPARC: Suicide, Let's Talk About It
Introducing Brandon
Hello,
My name is Brandon, and I am one of the contributors to this blog. An important aspect of this blog is to have a personal connection between the contributors and the people reading it, so I wanted to take time to introduce myself. I work for Kern County Mental Health, and started contributing to the SPARC Facebook page in July 2014. I am excited to see how well the page was received, and happy that the concept is expanding into this blog.
I have a personal connection to mental illness. I struggle with depression and anxiety myself, and have had close relationships in the past with those with mental illnesses. Therefore, I have the very unique privilege of being a voice for the mentally ill. There is a stigma surrounding mental illness and suicide. People tend to think that they shouldn't talk about suicide, and that those who are mentally ill are less capable than everyone else. I am living proof that that isn't true. I have dedicated my life to breaking down the barriers between those who have a mental illness and those who don't. I spent my life wishing there was someone I could talk to, someone who understood what I was going through. I now have a therapist, but I spent the majority of my life struggling through these issues alone. I am lucky enough to have survived this ordeal, but there are many who are not so lucky. Therefore, my purpose is to help those who are not able to help themselves. I encourage all of you to do the same. Keep reading this blog to get information, then apply it to your life. Whether you are mentally ill yourself, or are interested in helping those with mental illness, this is a place to go for help and acceptance.
I look forward to contributing to this blog and conversing with all of you!
Labels:
Anxiety,
Brandon,
Depression,
Mental Illness,
Suicide
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment