SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Devil's Snare

I'm one of those people who learns better when I can relate what I learn to something I see or experience. Recently, I learned something valuable about acceptance, and the best way I could relate to it is through the adventures of who I believe to be the best fictional character of all time: Harry Potter.

In Harry's first adventure, he and his friends find themselves trapped in Devil's Snare. This plant responds to movement and binds tighter around its victims the more they move. In order to survive their ordeal with this plant, Harry and friends had to stop struggling against the plant and accept their fate.

I find this lesson applicable to real life. We as a society tend to want to fix things. If anything uncomfortable happens, we want it to go away. Some people self-medicate with alcohol to numb the pain, some couples get divorced to avoid the dysfunction of their relationships, and some people kill themselves because they don't want to feel the way they do.

I remember being in a lot of pain. Pain that I wanted no one to feel, especially not myself. So I hid it. I hid it for years until someone brought it out of me. Once I accepted the pain, it was terrifying. I felt so alone, so vulnerable, so weak. I felt like Harry in the Devil's Snare. However, it became easier for Harry to accept his fate once Hermione accepted hers and made it safely through the Devil's Snare. I eventually made it through my pain thanks to the care of someone else as well. And now I spend my life trying to help others through their pain.

I urge the rest of you to do as Harry did. Don't run from the pain. Accept it. Feel the hurt come through you. Visualize it, personify it, put a name to it. Just don't judge it. Then let it leave when it is ready to, knowing it will always leave eventually. If you know someone going through pain, help them do the same. Help them accept the pain, even if it takes you riding the wave with them. It will be uncomfortable, sure. But it will be worth it.

Image from:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/82/cd/35/82cd35ed4bee65a9614cb6f9c2c18880.png



For the Harry Potter scene I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGtUBchpS4k


No comments:

Post a Comment