SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Mania and Self Harm

Self-harm is a sneaky little bugger that drives me mad!

I have bipolar. As a result, I have highs and lows. Sometimes those highs are definitely manic highs. I have been manic for just over a week now. When I go manic, I am at an increased likelihood to clean my house, visit friends, self-injure, and attempt suicide.

So, what do I do?

This is a hard time for me, because I know I should be fine. I know I should be thinking fine thoughts. Nothing is wrong, I can tell myself. But that isn’t the case. My body and my brain have pushed me into overdrive--and I am scared.

I want to blame the new medicine the doctor wanted to try. She talked to me about it for two separate appointments, and the appointments last 20+ minutes usually. She is a good doctor, and she really cares. Finally, I agreed to try this medicine. It didn’t take long for the mania to set it. I didn’t really realize it until the first time I started looking for something to cut myself.

I won’t go into detail, though I could, and a big part of me wants to. I won’t because I don’t want to trigger anyone. I will say, a few days later, when I finally couldn’t stop this compulsion, I made something that would work, and cut deep--much deeper than I had hoped. I stared at it and knew I should probably get stitches. I also knew that the backlash would be hellish, so I bandage myself up and moved on.

That was just the start. Suddenly, everything presented a new experience. How would *object* feel? If I didn’t move quickly enough, I ended up hurting myself. Every time.

I went to therapy and the advice is “remove everything sharp” but it isn’t just the sharp! It’s everything unhealthy. Everything dangerous. It is everything.

This time, I don’t have a plan. I have my support system, but they don’t understand. It isn’t a coping skill anymore, it is a compulsion. My mania has me seeming happy, euphoric. Oh, the sensation of flying through the day can be exhilarating. Still, I know the danger of the fall that waits.

They tell me to make a plan. So, my plan is to stay inside, and read a lot, and keep the hotline numbers close to me, and maybe the hotline webpage because they have a chat system, and chatting makes me less vulnerable. My plan is to keep my wounds clean, and not to hide, and to email my therapist or a friend every day so they know I'm surviving. My plan is to make plans.

What is your plan? Any suggestions?

-Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment