SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Getting Out There

Today I went to a book sale. I have been looking for a nice used book store for a long time. There is something special about flipping through a book that someone else has owned, reading their notes, seeing what they’ve seen. I feel like I am sharing a world with another human, but I get to stay home, safe in my chair.

The downside of going to the book sale was that there were a lot of other people. Goodness, so many people. I pulled up to the store and my heart started racing. But I had came prepared. I had my daughter, a good friend, and my emergency medication.

My social anxiety can be intense. For me, my moods shift rapidly. I can leave the house without a problem, fulfill simple tasks, and suddenly it seems a switch is flipped. I can feel my heart beating faster, my head begins to pound, and I find myself glancing over my shoulder before every move. I apologize every time a person speaks to me. Eventually I give up, and just go home. Even from home, walking the four apartments to the laundry room becomes impossible.

But today, I went to a book sale. I took my emergency medication, but I stayed at the book sale. There were plenty of people, but I continued to walk around looking at the different books. I made sure to keep contact with my support system, the friend I had come with, and I kept my daughter close by, but allowed her to circulate.

I bought books, I spoke to strangers, and my daughter and I curled up on our couch and have had hours of peace reading beside each other. Every little excursion is worth celebrating, I think.

What have you celebrated?
-Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment