SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Let's Break the Silence

Advocacy
Currently I am taking a class about cultural competency and the one word I keep hearing is ‘advocacy.’ Advocacy for what? For me, I’m advocating for mental health and tearing down the curtains of secrecy and shame surrounding it.

Therapy is the Norm
During class, we were asked to raise our hands if we were currently receiving therapy and, of course, most of us raised our hands. The reason I say “of course” is because it has been drilled into our heads from day one that we should seek our own therapy to help us become better therapists. I like that most of us students in our program have no shame and little hesitancy about seeking therapy. In fact, some of my friends and I love to talk about some of the things we're learning from therapy, sometimes in a geeky "they did this intervention! How cool!" way, similar to how friends and family talk about doctors. Now we just have to get the rest of the world on board.

I’m in Therapy
I am here to say that I am currently in therapy. Have been for a while. I value it very much: I keep learning more about myself, I sometime mentally file away interventions that I find useful for future use, and I feel I have someone who supports me. I appreciate the unconditional positive regard and acceptance I receive in session. I feel it has allowed me to grow as a person, both personally and professionally.

The Challenge
Let’s create a new norm where therapy and mental health is something we do not need to shy away from discussing. Most of us are not shy about seeking medical help, so why be shy about mental health? Tweet us a picture @mhsparc with #EverybodysGotProblems saying you are (or were) in individual or group therapy, you’ve been affected by a mental illness, if you’ve been affected by suicide, or how you've been affected by mental health in general. Let’s not be silent anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment