SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Ultimate Act of Courage

“Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.” 
― Seneca

“But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” 
― Albert Camus

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” 
― Winston S. Churchill

When I think of courage, I think of the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz. Growing up, I always identified with that character. Always shy, scared, and timid, yet willing to do what needs to be done. That was me. When I got close to success I got nervous. When I failed I blamed myself. It got to the point where I was scared of everything. Yet I kept going.

Courage is not simply being brave. There is more to it than that. Courage is the act of continuing. Sometimes it can be difficult. If you are suicidal, life has gotten you down to the point where you don't want to continue anymore. That is when I think we have the most courage. It takes amazing strength to look at all the obstacles ahead of us and still choose to keep going. To continue, despite feeling insignificant. To feel cowardly, but have courage.

The ultimate act of courage is to live. Facing everyday adversity is one of the hardest things we have to do. It may not seem like it at first, but the struggles we face eventually add up. To get up, throw off the struggles and adversity, and keep living life takes real courage. So say no to the pain and have the courage to do what you may feel is impossible. Have the courage to LIVE.

Image from: http://just4kicksata.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/cat-lion-jfk-martial-arts-courage-karate-for-kids-3-2015.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment