-C.S Lewis
My fiance and I were eating dinner the other night, and we started reflecting on our history together. Day to day our lives seem pretty routine. She teaches during the day, and I work. Sometimes we meet for dinner, and sometimes I do something else. Then we spend the weekend together, and go to church on Sundays. Our lives have a set schedule. If we focus on that, it seems pretty mundane and boring.
However, in the seven months we have been together, I have acted on stage in two shows and got a new job, she bought a house, and we got engaged. If we focus on that, our lives seem incredibly fast-paced and exciting.
Change is a matter of where you direct your focus. For those of you who have begun your mental health journey, chances are you may not see a big change if you focus on the day to day. You wake up, deal with life the best you can, then go to bed. Seems pretty boring. However, I challenge you to focus on the big picture. Whether you began your mental health recovery a week ago, or you have been on this journey for years, you have made gigantic strides since the beginning. Look back at the person you used to be, and marvel at the person you have become. You are wiser, stronger, and more capable than yesterday. That is the nature of change. You cannot go through the day without learning something, experiencing something, or changing. And that is a pretty awesome thing to think about.
| Image from: http://blogs-images.forbes.com/learnvest/files/2014/06/behavior-change-expert-questions.jpg |
No comments:
Post a Comment