-CS Lewis
I feel like I am a human paradox at times when it comes to sharing. There are moments when I am begging to be asked questions like, "How was your day?" or, "How do you feel?" just so I can get emotions off of my chest. However, when someone actually asks me these questions, I freeze up and all that comes out is, "I'm fine" or "It was OK." To actually share emotions can be a terrifying thing.
I believe this conundrum affects people with suicidal thoughts as well. There is both a need to let out emotion and a fear that we won't be understood when we do. We feel broken, but we feel like, if we share and others don't accept us, we will become even more broken. Therefore, the people who most need love and acceptance may end up pushing away the ones who can give it to them.
I'm here to tell you there is power in vulnerability. When you bypass the emotional barriers put there by years of stress, anxiety, and other insecurities, you can finally be real with yourself and with others. There is something to be said about being vulnerable. It is therapeutic to release emotion. And the amazing thing is, when someone is vulnerable with their partner, family member, or even close friend, the response is usually compassion.
It is against our tendency to be vulnerable and show emotion. However, I feel like it is also a human need to be understood on a deep, emotional level. Therefore, I challenge everyone to be vulnerable today. Find the person you trust the most, and tell him or her your deepest insecurity. Then, ask the same and respond with compassion. To be vulnerable is to show love, to be emotional is to be compassionate, and to be weak is to be strong.
| Image from: http://www.11-11events.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Vulnerable-Postcard-640x380.jpg |
No comments:
Post a Comment