I got to see a new born today. I brand new, just out of the womb, baby. Seriously, he had been alive and breathing for little more than an hour. It made me think, when we are born, there is no promise to uphold, no lingering doubts. We are born and simply are. We do not make the decision to be here, but suddenly we are thrust into a world, whether it is prepared for us or not.
Now, some of us are born to families that love us and are thrilled to have us, and others of us are born to those who could not be more terrified, indifferent, or unhappy that we are here. Regardless of that, if you are reading this, you have grown, and lived, and now you can read! Congratulations on that. You have made it to today, and I know that is not easy.
Simply existing can be a hardship. Getting out of bed can take all of my strength, but it was not always like that. There was a time when waking up was inevitable. The day we are born, research shows, we do not register fear, or sadness, or even anger. Studies suggest we register interest and distress. Basically, we experience something new and then we voice it if we do not like it. That is it. When I saw this little boy in his mother’s arms, his eyes searching the room, I began to sob. I just realized, he can be anything, do anything, his future is limitless in this moment.
We all had that moment. Regardless of what happened next, of who our parents were, of what our illness is, of what our trials have been, we had a moment when anything was possible. Now I am wondering, when did that moment go away?
Did it disappear suddenly the first time I saw something bad happen?
Can a blame a parent, guardian, or childhood bully for robbing me of my potential?
Is it my abuser’s fault?
Do I still have it? Can I do anything?
So maybe I can’t be the next Olympic figure skater to win gold, and I won’t be joining the Moscow Ballet, but I can still do stuff. I have potential. Why am I allowing all the people who have done bad things to me to stop me from accomplishing something today?
Taking steps is not always easy. That something can be scary, difficult, maybe impossible as you are right now. That doesn’t mean you can’t, it just means, take it in steps.
- Pre-contemplation: This may be where you are right now, toying around with an idea. You may be looking for reasons not to do as you have been considering.
- Contemplation: You are thinking more seriously about this idea, this thing… it seems like maybe, it could be real.
- Preparation: You’re serious now. You’ve told someone, you’re planning it out. Thinking about writing a book? Do an outline. Want to run a 5k? Buy tennis shoes, or even just socks. You are making preparations to make this thing a reality.
- Action: Start with the first step. If you want to run a marathon, it may start with a walk around the block. Losing 100 pounds starts with losing one pound. Write the first word of your novel, or visit an advisor that can help you pick classes to go back to school. Whatever it is, it happens here, slowly, but surely.
- Maintenance: Keep it up. You lost that 100 pounds, now don’t gain it back. You ran that marathon, keep in shape. You wrote the novel, be proud! You’ve done it, now just don’t stop!
There is no reason I can’t do something today, I decided. So, today I am writing this piece. I am writing something, a little bird in your ear, saying you can… that thing you thought about doing yesterday? Do it now. YOU CAN! And so can I.
No comments:
Post a Comment