SPARC is dedicated to preventing suicide by expanding community collaborative, identifying new effective strategies in prevention, implementing prevention projects and practices, and educating our community about suicide prevention. The goal is to reduce the number of deaths by suicide.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or having thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

May is Mental Health Awareness Month

I’m super excited. May is Mental Health Awareness Month is fast approaching and we have many plans. We’ll be making an appearance at CSUB and BC. We’re going to host a showing of To Write Love on Her Arms at the Beale Library. There will be an Art Show. And there is going to be a social media event: #EverybodysGotProblems. As I said before, I am super excited.

#EverybodysGotProblems

I am trying to coordinate this social media campaign that will happen on May 14th. I am encouraging local organizations to post selfies and posts about how they’ve been affected by mental health, mental illness, suicide… after all, EVERYONE has mental health just like we all have physical health. We may choose to ignore it sometimes, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there. So far, I am happy to have local organizations and business such as CSUB Student Disabilities Services, Good Samaritan , Truxtun Psychiatric , Gimme Some Sugar, Marley’s Mutts, Save a Life Today, and Sweet Surrender who will be participating and I’m hoping that you’ll be participating, too. Let’s talk about how we’ve been affected by mental health and show there is no shame. We're not alone.

May Events

If you or someone you know is in a crisis, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or the Kern County Mental Health Hotline at 1 (800) 991-5272.

No comments:

Post a Comment