-Norman Vincent Peale
Growing up, I was always told, "If you don't like something, change it." I always thought that was easier said than done. Change is a long process. When I was a child, I had a speech impediment. That didn't go away with the snap of a finger. It took years of therapy in order for me to learn how to talk correctly.
However, once I did learn how to talk correctly, my whole world changed. It was easier for me to come out of my shell, I could actually have a conversation with someone, and I was no longer that "shy guy".
I think the same kind of lesson can be applied to suicidal thoughts. People who contemplate suicide usually have negative thoughts, such as, "I'm not good enough", or, "I don't deserve happiness." These thoughts can be changed. It takes a while, but those thoughts can be replaced with more positive ones. Find things you like about yourself, and things you have accomplished in life. Focus thoughts on those and the future positive things you can accomplish. Eventually, your whole world may begin to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment